Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sheepish...

For as long as I can remember I have been posting on dpreview.com. I post primarily in the D70/D50/D80 forum. I enjoyed the fact that when I would post my shots and look at other peoples shots the only variable in the equation was lens choice. I knew I could get similar results as my peers as we have similar equipment.

I just recently started posting on dgrin.com, the smugmug forums. Now when I post my sports shots they are compared to those with MUCH better equipment, camera, lenses, strobes. While I continue to remind myself that as a broke freelancer I do very well with what I have I cannot help but feel sheepish in posting there. I feel as if the concensus would not be hey great job with that crappy equipment lol but rather a general ackowledgement that mine were not as good as Joe D200's so I must not be a professional.

This is now magnified by me finding a stringer position in my new city. The paper that I will be stringing for like most papers provides equipment to all STAFF photographers. The paper I string for now loves my night football shots, indoor basketball and volleyball shots. Thats because my photos are being compared the their staff photographer who has older equipment. When I go to this new paper my photos are going to be compared to 10 megapixel, strobe enhanced gorgeous pictures from expensive glass. I will be really lucky if they are happy with my outdoor sports shots.

I am not used to this shake in confidence. On an upside though it is pushing me to try harder and produce stronger images, perhaps what I lack in quality I can make up for in composition, subject, capturing THAT moment.

No comments: