Thursday, August 31, 2006

Upcoming Wedding Jitters

Saturday is the big day…for the couple…and for this photographer. The Wright-Young Wedding is this Saturday at 5. After shooting the couples engagement photos they asked to hire me on as a secondary photographer for the wedding. I was told this was only because there was a non refundable deposit that was secured by the primary photographer when they decided to go with him last spring. Either way this is fine with me. I have never shot a wedding before and I figure this will be a way for me to beef up my portfolio, and really get some good experience while still making it monetarily worth my while. I plan to shoot as if I was the primary on everything except the wedding party posed shots (I know those are hard enough for the Primary photographer, I don’t need to make his job any harder…) that way I will get a full range of experience and images.

So to try and calm my nerves I began researching wedding photography. I have come across some notoriously bad wedding photography such as danielphotography.com, pictures out of focus, strange looking poses…The only keeper shots appear to have been luck of the draw shots, you know the one or two you get when you shoot like 500 images! Then there are those that although fabulous instantmemories.com are extremely pricey ($2150.00 minimum package)…It seems that if someone with an eye for pleasing photos, combined with a good working knowledge of how to use their equipment there is quite a bit of money to be made in this arena.
Stay tuned as I plan to document within this blog the entire experience from the preparation of the bride, the the couples last dance, post processing and beyond!


I will leave you all with some photos that I came across in my research that knocked my socks off



Photo by Eric Robinson




Photo by 'Uncle Frank'

2 comments:

Ry Ry said...

good luck on the wedding. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Stephanie said...

Thanks :) It was a blast, always love feeling challenged and out of place, makes me work harder!